Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Buddhism and Bacon

This last weekend I felt like I was on the go the whole time but for great reasons - Friday I went to Denver to catch up with some old friends and support Recon, a local Drum and Bass and Dubstep night. I had a great time!

On Saturday Phil and I both drove to Denver to catch the Cherry Blossom Festival in Sakura square. There was lots of cool vendors and it was right by the Denver Buddhist Temple where we caught a short lecture from Rev. Fujii. It was an introduction of sorts to Buddhism, a short history and some concepts one being something so simple: a snake is a snake and a rope is a rope. If you think a rope is a snake how stressed you will be, do not mistake one for the other. Be able to see things as they are and not how you want them to be. How wonderful!

It reminded me of a book I read recently by Thich Nhat Hanh a Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist 'Be Free Where You Are' in which he says: "If there is despair in you, you need to recognize that energy and not allow it to overwhelm you. You have to practice in such a way that you transform the energy of despair and attain the freedom you deserve - the freedom from despair." Do not despair when a rope is a rope and not a snake, right?! There was also two paper crane origami displays (see pic) that I believe were made as a benefit for the victims of Japan's recent devastating earthquake and tsunami and part of a raffle to donate for their relief through the Buddhist Churches of America.

In quoting Thich again he teaches a practice of "cultivating compassion." He says, "But I know that compassion is not possible without understanding. And understanding is possible only if you have time to look deeply. Meditation means to look deeply in order to understand." Being aware and mindful was also something the Rev. Fujii talked about will illustrious examples. I walked away from the festival with this knowledge, a souvenir fan and some unfiltered sake after a lunch of sushi and small frozen yogurt blueberry mochi, plus I got to see my dad and his girlfriend so I'm glad we went.


Sunday we decided to catch a ride with my sister Angela and my nephew Tosh to go to Keystone, Colorado for the Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival in River Run! Here is a pic of Phil enjoying a chocolate dipped piece of bacon with ice cream. My favorite was the beaver tail, a maple butter pastry with maple and bacon crumbles on top! There was also bacon wrapped meatballs, really spicy jalapenos and bacon and a pork loin cabbage bacon plate that was delicious. There was a funk band playing, the weather was perfect (sunny, in the 70s with a breeze) and I had the privilege to eat various bacon dishes with some of my favorite people. The drive home was numbingly full and reminded me of why I love Colorado so much - the mountains are beautiful. And YES, I did my Bikram yoga on Monday which was much needed after all the weekend fun.



BY THE WAY..uncured bacon is the best for you, nitrate free and especially Nitrosamine free as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment